Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Public Transportation, Duckies and Songs

Dear blogspot and various readers,
Today I went for a walk.
I hadn't planned to be gone that long but as it turns out the public transpo system is slow and I have bad luck with it.
Like, it would leave when I was stuck across the street at a red light trying to cross. More walking for me.
I did get to ride the sprinter a little bit, which is our lame version of the metro or something.
I got to eavesdrop on other people's conversations.
I got to awkwardly avoid eye contact with people like everyone else and pretend that its not weird to be riding in a giant bus/train/metro thingy with a bunch of strangers.

I saw ducks bathing in water that was pretty much green; side note to self, if a duck is ever not scared of you and comes up for a closer look, DO NOT under any circumstance reach out and pet its soft algae cleaned feathers.
And don't put your fingers in your mouth if you do happen to forget this simple instruction.
Not that I ever do that.

There were quite a few cars out, but I didn't stop and ogle them. Everyone already gives the freak walking on the sidewalk the once over and I wasn't kind enough to return the favor...
also I had places to be.
Like...well nowhere in particular but I still felt like I had someplace to be.

So its very late and I'm headed home, I'm trying to walk quickly and get back because I was gone much longer than I had intended to be.
I'm walking along thinking about how nice it is that I am walking on the side of the road with shadows (for some reason I thought "shadows" instead of "shade") and I thought "long shadows, covering..." and then BAM! song lyrics popped into my head; two specific lines about the shadows of the evening.

So I think "Hey those aren't bad." (which they aren't) but then I think "Oh crap I'm going to forget them by the time I get home." so I get out my pen and little notepad to write them down.
Yes I know; Who carries around a little notepad and paper with them?
Trust me folks it comes in quite handy.
So I stop in the middle of the sidewalk on the side of the road and write the first two letters of the first word then think "Wait, that isn't right." so I think for a minute and come up with a few to put before those particular lines and then a few more afterwords, while I am writing I tried to keep walking and write but I almost walked into a telephone pole so I paused for a bit and then wrote the words down.

I have no idea what I looked like, how many times do you see people stopped on the side of the road writing in a tiny notepad?
Really?
Like, what the heck?
Either way, I got exercise, a little bit of people watching time, some useful knowledge of yukky ducky baths and a chorus for a song.

Which is where my status on facebook "Only weird people stop in the middle of the sidewalk to pen down lyrics that suddenly pop into their head. Oh wait; that was me."
came from.

Not a bad couple of hours.
Here endeth the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment