Thursday, October 29, 2009

Crazy Hunting Trail Of My Thoughts For Today

"when your nose is in the nitty gritty
life can be a little sweet
but life can be a little shitty
what a pity"
Tell Me Baby- The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Dear Notes,
I seem to be writing you yet again.
Today I was talking to a few people and they seem to share my distaste for the current state of affairs.
Tired of normality, some want to leave altogether and others wish it would all just go away.I have some questions; is wanting it all to go away selfish? Shouldn't we be trying to change the way things are? Or are we so convinced that the world is a lost cause that we want to give up on it all together?

I suppose we wonder what's the point of even trying.
How did we become this way?
It always used to be "When I grow up I want to be..." whatever, fill in the blank.
Sometimes we wonder whats the point of fulfilling your lifelong dream if its all going to just crash and burn in the end?
Perhaps momentary happiness makes it worth the end?
We find ourselves feeling that there is a moral breakdown in society; a feeling of powerlessness in the face of the impenetrability of social institutions...

I sort of feel horrible about this but I find myself agreeing with some parts of this quote;

"The ultimate and most important revolutionary aspiration: to see human beings liberated from their alienation ... The individual will reach total consciousness as a social being, which is equivalent to the full realization as a human creature, once the chains of alienation are broken. This will be translated concretely into the reconquering of one's true nature through liberated labor, and the expression of one's own human condition through culture and art."— Che Guevara, Marxist revolutionary

But I am not in any way a Marxist which is why I find it so disturbing that I sort of agree with Guevara.

Anyways...
Some days we think we need help when we find ourselves identifying with things we never would have thought about or agreed with before.

So what is this?
A lowering of our standards?
A temporary stop in the land of insanity?
Sometimes my head just can't take it all in.
Were we better off in the earlier centuries when our life's aims were to emulate the example set for us by our wise elders?
Are we better off now when we can forge our way ahead in a world of chaos and differ from our ancestors?Is this even making any sense?
Some days it makes me crazy.

Is despair an excellence or a defect? Purely dialectically, it is both. The possibility of this sickness is man's superiority over the animal, for it indicates infinite sublimity that he is spirit. Consequently, to be able to despair is an infinite advantage, and yet to be in despair is not only the worst misfortune and misery—no, it is ruination.
– Anti-Climacus, The Sickness Unto Death

No comments:

Post a Comment