Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Unutterable Moments

Moments, they all pass us by.

Often we seek to preserve times in our lives by photographs.

Often I hear people complaining that their photographs fall short of the moments they try to capture through the click of a button.

I run across photographs on tumblr and instagram/various social media sites that are wonderful.
Sunsets, foggy forests, ocean waves, and various stages of homes (to name a few) these things are captured beautifully in their moments of perfect existence.

We who see them are the lucky ones. Blessed with the sight to perceive these moments in their perfection but we know that we are often unable to capture them and freeze them for posterity.

It is often frustrating that I cannot capture the sky immediately after it rains.
Or the sky after rain filled with intermediate clouds which are backed by a dust of snow on the hills in the background.

These moments I must breathe deep of and know that they are in this moment, mine, no other will see them, they will not smell the breeze tinged with flowers or feel the dried out cold pass through their lungs when they step into the wind blowing.

I must keep these moments for myself. They are unutterable; precious.

Today I worked from 8 in the morning til 12:30 noon.
My drive home was blessed with the scent of orange blossoms and cold air.
Usually I pass over these things but I thought "how many people get to experience this? These small moments? How many times do people pass over these little things?"
It's sad.
There are so many things in nature which call and demand our attention but we in our busy lives pass over them.

Small moments we are too busy to see fly right by us without the acknowledgement or the awe that they deserve and that in itself grieves me. If only humans were unafraid to be brought to tears by a view or a story or simply by the knowledge that there are so many things that we will never experience...

These expressions are precious.

The honest expression of emotion, unafraid to be seen as weak whilst acknowledging the moments that make us see and appreciate love and relationships
.
The other day I was burdened by the babysitting of my niece and nephew.
these two are wild, ADD, unable to be still or listen to the commands given them.
Usually this makes me hide in my room but the other day I was the only one capable of babysitting them.
So I did.
They were as expected, hard to control.
The most precious moment came to me when I was reading a story.
My niece listened for a small while and then lost interest while my ten year old sister listened to the very end.
The story of love unappreciated, separation, and the journey to learning to love and appreciate love was fascinating to her.
I grew weary of reading, my mouth and throat grew tired but her desire to hear the rest of the story drove me on and in the end it was amazing.
This day was a gift.

A small child's honest sorrow and delight over a story is one of the most refreshing things to experience.

I watched her go from somber to joyfully excited over the ending as she realized where it was heading.

I watched her cry with me in honest sorrow over the summary which spoke of the journey a china rabbit was sent on because of his inability to appreciate love.

I watched her face change to joy as the lesson was learned and rewarded and it was worth every moment of time invested.

Every moment.

I thought, how unfortunate that we cannot feel these things in our adult life or, are often afraid to experience them for fear we will be thought of as weak and how refreshing it is to be able to experience the childrens stories through a child's eyes.

This was a gift which I had forgotten, something that I yesterday, was able to be reminded of.
I hope that we realize the lessons which can be taught through a story and i hope we are unafraid to feel them as deeply as children do.

No comments:

Post a Comment