Thursday, February 4, 2010

Questions

This is about a question;
that question is "why"
This is the question that I tend to ask too often.

I recently reconnected with a friend whom I hadn't spoken to for a month or so, we've been chatting over MSN and such.
One day she said something (and I don't quite remember what exactly she said) and I immediately followed her statement with a question; "why?"
She responded "Must you question everything?"
I responded flippantly "Yes."
But then I began to think about what she had said and in viewing our conversation I realized that I did indeed question almost everything.
This unsettled me.

As it turns out, some have no problem questioning everything but I realized that when one questions everything, that means there is a problem.

There is a time and a place for questioning.
There are also certain things which must be questioned in order to prove their worth or plausibility etc.
However, to question everything implies an implicit lack of faith in every single thing.
This is not good.
There are things in the universe that have been set in place for a reason, the hierarchy of authority for example.
We were given parents for a reason, they have indeed lived longer than we have.
Might it be possible that they would know a little more than we ourselves? Perhaps they ought to be listened to just a little bit more than we youngsters tend to.
But our flawed souls rage against the order of things, we push against what has been set in place in an effort to what? Somehow make things better than they are?

From this I conclude that I myself and probably others, have a lack of faith in the things around them.
Why?
Past experiences? Something gone terribly wrong? Or perhaps somehow we fancy that we know better than those around us.

Examining myself I find that my past experiences have pushed me to this point.
Perhaps I let things matter much more than they should have.
I will never know.
But I conclude that some effort must be made in order to restore my faith in things.
Perhaps I could simply cut down upon my questioning. Or I could stop myself after I ask why and try to realize why I have asked this question.
I suppose it will be an experiment of sorts.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment