Saturday, November 21, 2009

Simplicity

The other day I went down to the beach, the weather was quite nice.
There was just a hint of haze in the air, the ocean breeze was blowing, the temperature was not too hot and not too cold.
It was wonderful.
There weren't many people there.

I walked along the beach not thinking much, I was just enjoying being there. My head was quiet. It was a nice change from the usual parade of crazy thoughts flying through my head. I suppose one could even say that I was relaxed.
Somehow (and much to my great delight) I have begun developing an eye for simple beauty. A rock with an interesting pattern, a shell with some purple in it, nothing but water stretching for miles...

I took along my camera and took pictures thinking how lucky I was to be there.
When I was younger I never gave a second thought to where I lived or the beach or anything. For some reason I have begun to appreciate so much more and I love it, I find simple happiness in a child walking down the pier holding his elders hands, its extraordinary how much is in the world.

I walked along and picked up rocks I thought were interesting, I felt a bit childish, I did that when I was younger. I often took more rocks from the beach than I knew what to do with. I also tried to build a sandcastle but it started to get messy and I stopped.

The ocean drowned out most other noise, it was almost quiet, almost still. I think that such small things are healing to the soul and I find myself craving the simplicity of a walk along the beach with the sun on my back, wind in my face and nothing but the sound of the ocean in my ears.

I suppose I'm overflowing with thankfulness that I was there that day.
I love Southern California, its the place I come back to with relief in my heart knowing that I'm home. Despite the traffic, the rude drivers, the many people who cross the street; this is it for me: the end of the line.

(Note, if you doubt anything I said just check the length of this blog, that should prove how simple it was. I have said enough and captured it all.)

1 comment:

  1. In a time when so many things are rushed, there aren't too many hours in the day, everything is scheduled, it's nice to kick back and enjoy the natural beauty of nature, and it's nice to see someone who feels this way about the simplest things in life.Teehee you picked up rocks, that is great, i usualy pick up the pretty seashells, when i go with my friends they just laugh at me for it but end up helping pick some nice ones, 'cause noone can look past a very pretty shell haha^^

    ReplyDelete