Thursday, December 10, 2009

Its That Time of Year.

Why am I not full of Christmas cheer?

That past few Christmases I have looked upon with a Scrooge-esq view.
I hated the holiday and felt left behind when the world seemed to spin faster around me, it was as if the world was in motion and I alone was standing still.
But that has changed.

It is well known among my friends that I have never cherished any great love for Christmas, if I was master of my own home I would be content with sitting a tree in the corner undecorated.
I would only care to place it there for the scent and nothing more.
However, I hear there are other items with which one may scent their home and so were I master of my own home, I would not buy a tree at all.
I am sure at this point some of you are asking, Why this madness? Is not Christmas the highlight of the year? The only time when lights seem festive and we love more? When (most) families and friends put aside their respective grudges and gather together to celebrate?
I say you nay.

Perhaps it is the avarice of most people that put me off.
Perhaps it is the people who go overboard, their homes are not a pretty thing; they look as though the fabled Santa has vomited all of his left over decorations from the north pole upon them.
I am not saying that I loathe all decorations, indeed some may be placed quite prettily in the home and those I do appreciate.
Perhaps it is my love for simplicity that makes me look upon all the excess with distaste.
I know not.

What I do know is this;
I love my family, I love getting together with my relatives and I enjoy our talking and games.
To me; Christmas means nothing.
I love not the lights, nor the decorations, nor the rush of the general populace, or the frenzy that seems to overtake the people at this time of year.

I have given this some thought because once I discovered that I truly thought nothing of this holiday it unsettled me.
I now look at the lights and the tree and all the various signs of the seasons and feel nothing at all.
We have a large fake tree in our home, when my family decorated it, I went about my day.
I understand what Christmas is supposed to mean for some of us and truly I do think about it and find that I am thankful but perhaps due to what the "holiday" has become; it means nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment